Department of Surgery Staff
Our staff work with Department of Surgery faculty in support of UW Medicine’s mission to improve the health of the public by advancing medical knowledge, providing outstanding patient care and preparing tomorrow’s physicians and scientists. We strive to make our Department a Department of Choice and have initiated five core competencies that provide our staff with the pathway:
EXCELLENCE: We perpetuate the good work that is being done, collaborate to make today the best possible day and innovate to help create the future.
QUALITY OF WORK: We embrace an “error-free” philosophy toward our work and consistently produce thorough, accurate and reliable results and service.
QUANTITY OF WORK: We know what results are important and strive to achieve those results; we work to be organized and efficient and are known for “getting things done.”
INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS: We successfully foster effective working relationships through effective communication, collaborative teamwork and appropriate self-management.
PROFESSIONALISM: We adhere to organizational code of ethics and take personal responsibility for actions. We demonstrate integrity, are self-aware and dedicated to life-long learning.
Department of Surgery staff find meaning in our work, which is often fast-paced and complex. We enjoy working together and infuse a sense of fun into our work. It is my pleasure to be the Director of the Department of Surgery; please enjoy perusing our website.
— Susan Marx, MBA, Director, Administration and Finance, Department of Surgery / Director, Administration and Finance, Department of Anesthesiology & Pain Medicine
Meet some of our administrative leadership team:
Finance and Research Administration
- Michael Aly, MBA; Associate Director & Chief of Finance
- Craig Brownson, MHA; Associate Director, Clinical Programs and Finance & Administrator of Operations, Pediatric General Surgery; Administrator of Operations, Vascular Surgery
- Catherine Wicks, Senior Administrator Finance Operations & Research Administration
- Kira Martin, MHA, MBA; Senior Administrator of Operations: Plastic Surgery (including Pediatric Plastic Surgery); Trauma, Critical Care & Burn Surgery, Plastic Surgery & Veterans Administration Healthcare (VAPHS); General Surgery Education
- Kate Rimmer, MBA; Administrator of Operations, General Surgery, Transplant Surgery and Manager, Research Enterprise; Communications
- Justin Feezell, MHA; Administrator of Operations, Cardiothoracic Surgery (including Pediatric Cardiac Surgery), Vascular Surgery
Faculty Affairs & Human Resources
- Judith Rapp, Senior Administrator, Faculty Affairs, Human Resources & Department Communications
Department IT Services
- Roland Lai, Director of IT Services
Susan Marx, MBA
Director, Administration and Finance, Department of Surgery
Director, Administration and Finance, Department of Anesthesiology
& Pain Medicine