Department of Surgery Staff
Our staff work with Department of Surgery faculty in support of UW Medicine’s mission to improve the health of the public by advancing medical knowledge, providing outstanding patient care and preparing tomorrow’s physicians and scientists. We strive to make our Department a Department of Choice and have initiated five core competencies that provide our staff with the pathway:
EXCELLENCE: We perpetuate the good work that is being done, collaborate to make today the best possible day and innovate to help create the future.
QUALITY OF WORK: We embrace an “error-free” philosophy toward our work and consistently produce thorough, accurate and reliable results and service.
QUANTITY OF WORK: We know what results are important and strive to achieve those results; we work to be organized and efficient and are known for “getting things done.”
INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS: We successfully foster effective working relationships through effective communication, collaborative teamwork and appropriate self-management.
PROFESSIONALISM: We adhere to organizational code of ethics and take personal responsibility for actions. We demonstrate integrity, are self-aware and dedicated to life-long learning.
Department of Surgery staff find meaning in our work, which is often fast-paced and complex. We enjoy working together and infuse a sense of fun into our work. It is my pleasure to be the Director of the Department of Surgery; please enjoy perusing our website.
— Susan Marx, MBA, PMP, CPC, Director, Administration and Finance, Department of Surgery
Our Leadership Team
Finance and Research Administration
- Michael Aly, MBA; Associate Director & Chief of Finance
- Craig Brownson, MHA; Associate Director, Clinical Programs and Finance & Administrator of Operations, Pediatric General Surgery; Administrator of Operations, Vascular Surgery
- Catherine Wicks, Assistant Director, Finance Operations & Research Administration
- John Christopher, MHA; Administrator of Operations, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Transplant Surgery
- Shauna Kruger, MHA; Administrator of Operations, Vascular Surgery
- Farrah Leland, JD; Administrator of Operations, Healthcare Simulation Science
- Kira Martin, MHA, MBA; Senior Administrator of Operations: Plastic Surgery Harborview Medical Center (including Pediatric Plastic Surgery); Trauma, Critical Care & Burn Surgery, & Veterans Administration Healthcare (VAPHS); General Surgery Education
- Kate Rimmer, MBA; Administrator of Operations: General Surgery, Plastic Surgery University of Washington Medical Center; Manager, Research Enterprise; Communications
Faculty Affairs & Human Resources
- Judith Rapp, Assistant Director, Faculty Affairs, Human Resources & Department Communications
Department IT Services
- Roland Lai, Director of IT Services
Susan Marx, MBA, PMP, CPC
Director, Administration and Finance, Department of Surgery