Hello 2020 surgery applicants! Just to let you know that our new website is on the way and we will be announcing virtual Q&A dates shortly. In the meantime, please follow us on our social media platforms for updates, announcements and to learn a bit more about our residents and faculty! Looking forward to meeting you soon!
Residency positions for the general surgery program at the University of Washington are matched via the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
- NRMP number for the 5-year Clinical Track categorical position is 1918440C0
- NRMP number for the 7-year Research Track categorical position is 1918440C1
- NRMP number for the 2-year preliminary position is 1918440P0
- NRMP number for the 1-year preliminary position is 1918440P3
Applicants are welcome to apply for and rank both the Clinical and Research categorical tracks.
UW Department of Surgery participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), hosted by the Association of American Medical Colleges.
- We do not accept paper applications.
- Applicant photos are downloaded from ERAS and useful in the ranking process, therefore it is considerably advantageous for applicants to submit their photo.
- We strongly encourage completion of the USMLE Step 2 CK exam prior to January 1 of the application year.
Students and graduates of foreign medical schools should view our Certificate Program for International Physicians, which is a pre-requisite for those who seek preliminary residency positions in our program. Canadian applicants should contact the Canadian Residents Matching Service. F-1 Visa holders must receive pre-approval prior to ranking.