Daniel Cho, MS, MD, PhD
Curling, Bon Appetit magazine, otters, ancient Egypt,
I attended Brown University through the Program in Liberal Medical Education. I completed degrees in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology as well as Visual Art prior to matriculating at Brown Medical School. After my pre-clinical years, I completed my ScM in Biotechnology and PhD in Biology through the Artificial Organs, Biomaterials, and Cellular Technology lab. My dissertation focused on the development and characterization of a novel technique for the fabrication of bioadhesive double-walled micro- and nanospheres for oral drug delivery applications. During this time, I worked as a scientific consultant at multiple startup companies. Following completion of my graduate studies, I worked as a Senior Scientist in Polymer Chemistry at NuLabel Technologies where I helped develop next-generation labels using activateable adhesive technology prior to finishing medical school.
As a resident at the University of Washington, I am involved in many research projects focusing on racial equity, standardized clinical care pathways, and surgical outcomes. I am also the co-chair of the University of Washington House Staff Quality and Safety Committee. I serve on the Resident Advisory Board for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery as well as multiple national committees for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons. In my free time, I enjoy curling at the Granite Curling Club. After residency, I plan to pursue fellowship training in both Pediatric Plastic Surgery and Craniofacial Surgery.
Brown Medical School
Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Craniofacial Surgery
- D.Y. Cho, K.N. Evans, M.C. Weed, A. Lee, S.M. Susarla. Bilateral Squamosal Suture Craniosynostosis Presenting with Abducens Nerve Palsy and Severe Papilledema. World Neurosurgery. In Review.
- S. Czerniecki, M. French, D.Y. Cho, J. Friedly, K. Keys. Efficacy of a Standardized Perioperative Clinical Care Pathway for Below Knee Amputation. Annals of Surgery. In Review.
- D.Y. Cho, C.J. Kneib, J.P. Massie, D.L. Sobol, C.S. Crowe, A. Shakir, J.R. Burns, M. Lane, J.A. Sabin, S.D. Morrison, J.D. Sousa. Visual Representation of Racial Diversity in Aesthetic Surgery Literature. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Aesthetic Surgery. In Review.
- J.P. Massie, D.Y. Cho, C.J. Kneib, J.B. Friedrich, J.D. Sousa, S.D. Morrison. A Picture of Modern Medicine: Race and Visual Representation in Medical Literature. Journal of Medical Ethics. In Review.
- J.P. Massie, D.Y. Cho, C.J. Kneib, J.R. Burns, C.S. Crowe, M. Lane, A. Shakir, D.L. Sobol, E.D. Rodriguez, J.A. Sabin, J.D. Sousa, T. Satterwhite, S.D. Morrison. Patient Representation in Medical Literature: Are We Appropriately Depicting Diversity? Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: Global Open (2019) 7:e2563.
- P.M. Klinge, D. Cho, H.O. Taylor, C.S. Morrison, C.B. Birgfeld, S.R. Sullivan. Human Tail: Interdisciplinary Treatment for Dorsal Cutaneous Appendages and Associated Spectrum of Spinal Dysraphism. Interdisciplinary Neurosurgery (2020) 19:100632.
- J.P. Massie, D.Y. Cho, C.J. Kneib, S.D. Morrison. It’s Not Just Black and White Anymore: A Call for Skin Color Diversity Representation in Plastic Surgery Literature. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery (2019) 30:2659.
- C. Crowe, D.Y. Cho, C.J. Kneib, S.D. Morrison, J.B. Friedrich, KA. Keys. Strategies for Reconstruction of the Plantar Surface of the Foot: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (2019) 143:1223-1244.
- K. Estrellas, M. Fiecas, A. Azagury, B. Laulicht, D.Y. Cho, a. Mancini, J. Reineke, S. Furtado, E. Mathiowitz. Time-dependent mucoadhesion of conjugated bioadhesive polymers. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces (2019) 173:454-469.
- A. Azagury, V.C. Fonseca, D.Y. Cho, J. Perez-Rogers, C.M. Baker, E. Steranka, V. Goldenshtein, D. Calvao, E.M. Darling, E. Mathiowitz. Single Step Double-walled Nanoencapsulation (SSDN). Journal of Controlled Release (2018) 280:11-19.
- D.Y. Cho, J.P. Massie, S.D. Morrison. Ethnic Considerations for Rhinoplasty in Facial Feminization. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery (2017) 19:243.
- S. Morrison, A. Shakir, K.S. Vyas, A.C. Remington, B.J. Mogni, S.C. Wilson, D.W. Grant, D.Y. Cho, A.A. Ranemani-Azar, G.K. Lee, J.B. Friedrich, S. Mardini. Penile Replantation: A Retrospective Analysis of Outcomes and Complications. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery (2017) 33:227-232.
- J. Reineke, D.Y. Cho, Y.T. Dingle, A.P. Morello, J. Jacob, C.G. Thanos, E. Mathiowitz. Unique insights into the intestinal absorption, transit, and subsequent biodistribution of polymer-derived microspheres. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (2013) 110:13803-8.
- J. Reineke, D.Y. Cho, Y.T. Dingle, P. Cheifetz, B. Laulicht, E. Mathiowitz. Can bioadhesive nanoparticles allow for more effective particle uptake from the small intestine?. Journal of Controlled Release (2013) 170:477-84.
- B. Laulicht, A. Mancini, N. Geman, D. Cho, K. Estrellas, S. Furtado, R. Hopson, A. Tripathi, E. Mathiowitz. Bioinspired bioadhesive polymers: dopa-modified poly(acrylic acid) derivatives. Macromolecular Bioscience (2012) 12:1555-65.
- R.S. Patel, D.Y. Cho, C. Tian, A. Chang, K. Estrellas, D. Lavin, S. Furtado, E. Mathiowitz. Doxycycline delivery from PLGA microspheres prepared by a modified solvent removal method. Journal of Microencapsulation (2012) 29:344-52.