Spotlight on Past Trainees
Giana H. Davidson, MD, MPH
Associate Professor, Division of General Surgery
University of Washington
“During my clinical training in General Surgery, I completed a two-year research fellowship to gain expertise health services research. This program was under the mentorship of Dr. Frederick Rivara and Drs. Saman Arbabi, Ronald Maier and Eileen Bulger at the Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center (HIPRC) as a trainee in the Pediatric Injury Research T32 program. During these two years, I completed my Masters of Public Health in Epidemiology and gained critical experience in grant writing and outcomes research, allowing me to publish and present our work at various surgical and public health conferences. This was the foundation for my current research focused on improving the care of our surgical patients and improving health systems care of patients during transitions of care. In addition to my academic pursuits, my husband and I expanded our family of 2 dogs to include 2 children, 5 chickens, and a mealworm farm. My research fellowship years were a wonderfully busy time in my life and the mentoring, training in epidemiology and statistics, and exceptional departmental support were instrumental in establishing my current career in academic surgery.”
- Davidson GH, Hamlat CA, Rivara FP, Koepsell TD, Jurkovich GJ, Arbabi, S. Long-term Survival of Adult Trauma Patients. JAMA. 2011; 305(10): 1001-1007.
- Davidson GH, Rivara FP, Arbabi S. Trauma and Long-term Mortality—Reply. JAMA. 2011;305(23):2413-2414.
- Davidson GH, Maier RV, Arbabi S, Goldin AB, Rivara FP. Impact of Operative Delay on Pediatric Trauma Outcomes. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012 Jul;73(1):162-7.
- Davidson GH, Rivara FP, Mack CD, Kaufman R, Jurkovich GJ, Bulger ME. Validation of Pre-Hospital Trauma Triage Criteria for Motor Vehicle Collisions. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014 March; 76(3):755-761.
Awards and Honors
- First place, Region 10 ACS COT Resident Paper Competition & First place, Washington State COT clinical paper presentation. American College of Surgeons (ACS), Committee on Trauma (COT). Tacoma, WA. November 2010.
- Fourth place, UW Department of Surgery Schilling Research Symposium. Seattle, WA, February 2011.
- UW Department of Epidemiology 29th annual SER Meeting. Injury as a Risk Factor for Fatal Unintentional Overdose following Hospitalization: A Population Based Analysis. Seattle, WA. June 2010.
- Washington State Joint Conference on Health. Injury as a Risk Factor for Fatal Unintentional Overdose After Hospitalization. Yakima, WA. October 2010.
- Washington State Joint Conference on Health. Public Opinion About Gun Regulation in Washington State. Yakima, WA. October 2010.
- Regional American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma (COT) Resident Paper Competition. Long Term Survival of Adult Trauma Patients. Tacoma, WA. November 2010.
- Washington State Department of Health EMS and Trauma Steering Committee. Outcome of WA State Adult Trauma Patients. January 2011.
- UW Department of Surgery Schilling Research Symposium. Long Term Survival of Adult Trauma Patients. Seattle, WA. February 2011.
- American College of Surgeons, Washington–Oregon Chapter. Long Term Survival of Adult Trauma Patients. Lake Chelan, WA. June 2011.